Home » What happens if my dog or cat drinks alcohol? Is it dangerous?

What happens if my dog or cat drinks alcohol? Is it dangerous?

During the Christmas and New Year period, alcohol consumption in families is common. However, dogs can also succumb to alcohol.

Either through negligence or because their owners share alcoholic drinks with them. These drinks seriously affect the nervous system of pets. In fact, their consumption can lead to intoxication, convulsions and respiratory problems. Therefore, it is important to stop this practice in order to avoid damaging the health and life of these animals.

In 2018, a video of a man giving a dog a bottle of beer caused a scandal and brought into the discussion the health effects that animals suffer when consuming alcohol.

The animal’s body is not prepared to metabolize alcohol, which can cause negative effects. In addition, with sugary drinks, the consequences can be even worse.

According to a report published by veterinarians Stéphane Bissonnette and Judith A. Taylor, alcoholic beverages can induce clinical signs such as central nervous system disorders (decreased reflexes, ataxia, depression), vomiting and diarrhea. In severe cases, it can lead to tremors, coma and even death.

However, it is not only alcoholic beverages that can intoxicate pets.

What happens when you give your dog alcohol

Wondering what happens when you give your dog alcohol? The quick answer is that you should never give alcoholic beverages to pets. Alcohol is toxic to our pets and can have serious consequences on their health. Let’s take a look at the effects of alcohol on dogs.

The effects of alcohol on your pet

If your dog has ingested alcohol, it is very likely that you will need to seek a veterinarian. His body is not ready to metabolize alcohol and it can be very dangerous, depending on how much he drank and how strong the drink was. Sweet tasting drinks are the most dangerous, as the dog enjoys the taste and will drink them quickly.

Also watch out for foods or desserts containing alcohol, such as chocolate with alcohol. Even products such as mouthwash. Ethanol is also present in spoiled foods or fermented matter. If the alcohol ingested is wine, this is even more dangerous for the dog, as grapes are one of the most toxic foods for these animals.

If you would like to read more articles like this, we recommend visiting our Animals category.

Related post

You are now registered!

Receive quizzes via e-mail

By checking this box, I agree to receive news from theperfectblend.net and have read and accepted the privacy policy of this site.

We use your e-mail address only to send you our newsletters, information about theperfectblend.net activities, and offers from our partners. You can always use the unsubscribe link included in the newsletter.

Cornell Volkman
Written by: Cornell Volkman
Hey there, I'm Cornell! For the past decade, I've been perfecting my craft as a writer with a love for nature and gardening. I take pride in creating engaging articles that bring the beauty of animals and gardens to life. From reporting on the latest conservation efforts to sharing tips for cultivating a thriving garden, my writing aims to inspire and educate. I'm excited to share my passion with you and invite you to join me on a journey of discovery!